Recommended Reading: What to Do, See and Visit in Dubrovnik, Croatia
What Game of Thrones scenes were filmed in Dubrovnik?
Dubrovnik was the primary filming location for King’s Landing in the popular TV series Game of Thrones. Many famous scenes were shot in the city, such as the Walk of Shame, the Battle of Blackwater, and the Red Keep. Fans of the show can revisit these locations and relive their favourite moments. We love Game of Thrones and Dubrovnik so jumped at the chance to see the film locations when asked! Our travel partner Viator has some inclusive Game of Thrones guided tours that we thoroughly recommend!
Where can I find the locations used for King’s Landing in Dubrovnik?
Dubrovnik, a city in Croatia, is home to some of the most iconic Game of Thrones filming locations. These locations were used to represent King’s Landing in the show. Specifically, you can find them in the Old Town of Dubrovnik, at Fort Lovrijenac (also known as the Red Keep) and the nearby Pile Gate. The city’s ancient walls, majestic forts, and old town charm provided the perfect backdrop for the fictional city of King’s Landing. In this guide, we’ll take you on a journey through these mesmerizing locations in Dubrovnik, allowing you to immerse yourself in the world of Westeros and relive your favourite moments from the show.
Exploring Filming Locations in Dubrovnik
As you walk the ancient streets of Dubrovnik, it’s easy to see why the show’s creators chose this enchanting city as the main filming location for King’s Landing, including the Old Town Dubrovnik. With its medieval architecture, stunning coastline, and rich history, Dubrovnik offers an unparalleled setting for the epic saga of Game of Thrones. From the majestic Pile Gate to the captivating Fort Bokar, there are countless iconic spots in Dubrovnik, such as the Old Town Dubrovnik with its red rooftops and impressive City Walls, that will transport you to the fictional world of Westeros.
The Majestic Pile Gate
One of the most iconic Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik is the majestic Pile Gate. A gateway to the city, the Pile Gate serves as the entrance to the fictional city of King’s Landing in the show. As you pass through the gate, you can’t help but feel the weight of the history and mythology that surrounds the Game of Thrones universe. Standing in the shadow of the Pile Gate, you can imagine the Lannister armies marching through, the Stark family making their entrance, and the various game-changing events that took place within the walls of King’s Landing.
The Pile Gate offers a glimpse into the fictional world of the Lannisters, Starks, and Targaryens. Walking through the majestic Pile Gate, you’ll feel like you’re stepping into the intricate web of political intrigue, power struggles, and epic battles that made Game of Thrones a global phenomenon. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or simply fascinated by the show’s fantastical universe, the Pile Gate in Dubrovnik is a must-visit location that will transport you to the heart of the Seven Kingdoms. The Pile Gate entrance to the Old Town has been used a number of times in Seasons 2 and 3, most notably in Season 2, Episode 6 ‘The Old Gods and the New’. King Joffrey returns to Red Keep after Marcella is sent away to Dorne and he gets attacked by angry mobs gathered in the entrance as he screams ‘Kill him, kill them all’. In Season 2, Episode 5, ‘The Ghost of Harrenhal’, the Ploče Gate is where Tyrion and Lancel Lannister talk with Bronn in the background. Cercsei entered the Red Keep at the Ploče Gate after her Walk of Shame in Season 5, Episode 10 ‘Mother’s Mercy’ and was greeted by Qyburn.
Scenic Beauty of Fort Bokar
Another Game of Thrones filming location that shouldn’t be missed in Dubrovnik is the scenic Bokar Fortress. This fort, known for its majestic architecture, has played a significant role in the portrayal of King’s Landing in the show. As you approach Bokar Fortress, you’ll be captivated by its imposing presence, standing proudly on the city walls, overlooking the sea. The fort’s strategic location provides a stunning backdrop for pivotal moments in the series, such as the Battle of Blackwater Bay. This is my favourite film location.
Exploring Fort Bokar allows you to immerse yourself in the grandeur of the show’s settings. You can envision the gold cloaks patrolling the walls, the city’s residents going about their daily lives, and the main characters plotting their next move. The fort’s walls offer visitors an opportunity to witness the same panoramic views that the show’s characters would have experienced, providing a truly immersive experience. With the sea stretching out in front of you and the red-tiled roofs of Dubrovnik’s old town behind, you can truly appreciate the scenic beauty of Fort Bokar, reminiscent of the scene in Season 2 Episode 8 of Game of Thrones where Tyrion and Lord Varys discuss defence strategies for King’s Landing from the City Walls, known as ‘The Prince of Winterfell’. This enchanting atmosphere brings the Game of Thrones universe to life.
Unveiling the Essence of the Old Town
As we delve deeper into the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik, it’s impossible to ignore the essence of the city’s old town. With its winding streets, ancient buildings, and historic landmarks, the old town of Dubrovnik serves as the perfect canvas for the show’s narrative. As you walk through the streets, you’ll discover the striking city walls, the historic Rector’s Palace, the picturesque St Dominic Street, and the famous Sponza Palace, among other notable locations. Let’s explore these captivating spots in more detail and relive the magic of Game of Thrones in the heart of Dubrovnik.
The Striking City Walls
Dubrovnik’s city walls are not only a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but they also played an integral part in the Game of Thrones filming locations. As you walk along the city walls, you’ll be transported into the world of Westeros, where the fate of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance. The city walls provided the backdrop for many epic moments in the show’s narrative, such as the Battle of Blackwater and Cersei’s walk of shame. In addition, the pier itself witnessed another iconic scene in Season 3 Episode 1 – ‘Valar Dohaeris’, where you see Shae observe Sansa whilst talking to Littlefinger about an escape plan. To the right of the West Pier, you’ll see a beautiful stone staircase with iconic sea-facing doors, reminiscent of the curious doors in the West Harbour that double as Blackwater Bay, where the gold cloaks were ordered to murder all of King Robert Baratheon’s bastard children in one of the most iconic scenes from Season 2.
Walking along the city walls allows you to relive these key scenes from Game of Thrones and immerse yourself in the show’s fantastical universe. From the top of the walls, you can admire breath taking views of the old town, the Adriatic Sea, and the surrounding landscape, just as the show’s characters would have. The city walls of Dubrovnik offer a panoramic view of the imaginary realm of Westeros, allowing fans to experience the grandeur of the show’s settings first-hand.
The Historic Rector’s Palace
The historic Rector’s Palace in Dubrovnik, also known as the Palace of the Spice King, is another noteworthy filming location for Game of Thrones fans. This beautifully preserved palace served as the backdrop for various scenes in the show, most notably the fictional Red Keep. As you step into the palace, you’ll be transported to the regal world of King’s Landing, where power struggles, political intrigue, and larger-than-life characters define the landscape. The palace’s grandeur and rich history, make it a perfect setting for iconic Game of Thrones battles, such as the one between Prince Oberyn Martell (the Red Viper) and Ser Gregor Clegane (the Mountain). The Rector’s Palace is used as the palace of the Spice King in Season 2, Episode 6, further cementing its significance in the Game of Thrones series.
The Rector’s Palace invites visitors to delve into the opulence and grandeur of the show’s settings. You can marvel at the intricate details of the palace’s architecture, walk through the same halls where the show’s characters once roamed, and imagine the pivotal events that took place within its walls. The fusion of reality and fiction is seamless in the Rector’s Palace, making it a must-visit location for any Game of Thrones enthusiast.
Walking through the Game of Thrones Scenes
Walking through the streets of Dubrovnik, you can retrace the steps of your favourite Game of Thrones characters and relive the most memorable scenes from the show. St Dominic Street, including the iconic Jesuit Staircase and the nearby Ploce Gate, are two such locations that transport you directly into the heart of the action. The main street of Dubrovnik, known as the Stradun, is lined with shops, cafes, and historic buildings. Let’s take a closer look at these captivating spots and the stories they hold. Our travel partner Viator has some inclusive Game of Thrones guided tours that we thoroughly recommend!
St Dominic Street: A Walk to Remember
St Dominic Street, located in the old town of Dubrovnik (stop off here and grab some food), is a picturesque filming location from Game of Thrones. This charming street has seen the likes of Jamie Lannister, the High Sparrow, and Lady Olenna Tyrell walking its cobbled paths, exchanging secrets and plot twists. Walking down St Dominic Street, you can savour the charm of the show’s bustling thoroughfares, filled with the hustle and bustle of the city of King’s Landing. Here are some highlights of this memorable Game of Thrones filming location:
- Immerse yourself in the ambiance of the show as you walk along the same street that some of the most beloved characters have treaded.
- Observe the intricate folk costumes adorning the local shop windows, adding an extra layer of authenticity to the Game of Thrones experience.
- Snap some memorable photos in front of the main entrance of the Dominican Monastery, which served as the entrance to the King’s Landing City Gate in the series.
- Visit the Ethnographic Museum, located on St Dominic Street, and learn more about the cultural heritage of the region while discovering additional filming locations.
The Iconic Jesuit Staircase
The Jesuit Staircase, also known as the “Walk of Shame” staircase, is another iconic Game of Thrones filming location in Dubrovnik. This staircase gained fame as the site of one of the show’s most memorable scenes, where Cersei Lannister undergoes her walk of shame, serving at the Steps of the Great Sept of Baelor. Walking up the steps, you can almost hear the echoes of Cersei’s humiliation and the cheers of the crowd as she makes her way towards the Great Sept of Baelor. Of course, the Jesuit Staircase played a major role in the finale of season 5 during Cersei’s walk of atonement.
Visiting the Jesuit Staircase allows fans to embody the essence of the show’s narrative, immersing themselves in the dramatic events that unfolded in this very location. As you climb the steps, you’ll appreciate the architectural beauty of the staircase and the stunning city views it offers. Whether you’re a fan of the show or simply fascinated by the history and culture of Dubrovnik, the Jesuit Staircase is a must-see location that will leave a lasting impression.
A Glimpse of the Red Keep: Fort Lovrijenac
Prepare to be amazed as we bring the fictional world of the Red Keep to life! Fort Lovrijenac, located just outside the walls of Dubrovnik, served as the filming location for this iconic stronghold in the Game of Thrones series. With its captivating views and historical significance, Fort Lovrijenac offers fans a glimpse into the world of power, treachery, and the iron throne. Let’s explore the fort’s captivating viewpoints and the famous scenes that were shot here.
Captivating Views from the Fort
The views from Fort Lovrijenac and the imposing Minceta Tower are truly breath taking, making them two of the most memorable filming locations in Dubrovnik for Game of Thrones fans. Perched on a rocky cliff overlooking the Adriatic Sea, the fort offers panoramic vistas of both the old city and the sea. From the top, visitors can marvel at the city’s red-tiled roofs, the azure sea, and the surrounding landscape, providing a feast for the senses.
Capturing the breathtaking sunset views over the Adriatic from Fort Lovrijenac is an unforgettable experience. As the sky turns gold and red, the fort provides the perfect backdrop for a truly magical moment. Standing on the fort’s walls, you can almost feel the presence of the characters who once inhabited the Red Keep. From Robert Baratheon’s bastard children to the wedding feast of King Joffrey, Fort Lovrijenac witnessed some of the show’s most iconic scenes.
Famous Scenes Shot at Fort Lovrijenac
Fort Lovrijenac is closely associated with several famous scenes from the Game of Thrones series, making it a must-visit location for fans who want to immerse themselves in the show’s universe. Some of the most memorable scenes shot at the fort include the wedding feast of King Joffrey, Tyrion Lannister’s protest speech, and the iconic “power is power” scene between Cersei Lannister and Petyr Baelish. Visiting the fort allows fans to relive these dramatic moments and appreciate the unique atmosphere that the fort brings to the show. Here are a few scenes filmed at Fort Lovrijenac:
- Cersei’s walk of shame: The fort’s staircase played a crucial role in the show’s portrayal of Cersei Lannister’s walk of shame, an intense and emotional scene that captivated audiences worldwide.
- The Purple Wedding: One of the most anticipated events in the show, the wedding feast of King Joffrey, was brought to life at Fort Lovrijenac, setting the stage for the momentous and unexpected events that followed.
- The Battle of Blackwater Bay: The fort’s commanding position overlooking the sea provided the perfect backdrop for the intense battle scenes in which Stannis Baratheon’s fleet attempted to conquer King’s Landing.
- The power struggle: Many of the show’s key power struggles, such as the confrontations between Tywin Lannister and Lord Varys, took place in the halls and courtyards of Fort Lovrijenac, adding depth and complexity to the characters and their motivations.
- Visiting Fort Lovrijenac is truly a unique experience, allowing fans of the show to step into the world of Westeros and witness the locations that brought the series’ epic scenes to life.
Other Noteworthy Film Locations
Dubrovnik is not just home to the main filming locations of King’s Landing; the city and its surroundings also boast several other noteworthy spots that transport visitors to the Game of Thrones universe. From the serene Lokrum Island to the enchanting Trsteno Arboretum, these locations offer a diverse range of experiences that will leave you in awe.
The Serene Lokrum Island
Lokrum Island, located just off the coast of Dubrovnik, provides a serene escape from the city’s hustle and bustle. This idyllic island, with its lush botanical gardens and quiet beaches, served as the filming location for scenes featuring the Iron Throne. As you explore Lokrum, you’ll discover the very spots where Daenerys Targaryen, Cersei Lannister, and other key characters in the show sat upon the coveted Benedictine Monastery, vying for power in the Seven Kingdoms. See if you can book a trip here, its a great day out.
The island’s picturesque coastline, tranquil coves, and crystal-clear waters offer a serene retreat for nature enthusiasts. From swimming in secluded spots to strolling along the walking trails, Lokrum provides a peaceful experience away from the city, allowing you to unwind and immerse yourself in the natural beauty that inspired the show’s creators. Whether you’re a Game of Thrones fan or simply seeking a tranquil escape, Lokrum Island is a must-visit location that should not be missed.
The Enchanting Trsteno Arboretum
Trsteno Arboretum, located just outside of Dubrovnik, is one of the oldest arboretums in this part of the world. This tranquil oasis of greenery and ancient trees served as the filming location for the gardens of the Red Keep in Game of Thrones. As you wander through the arboretum, you’ll be enchanted by the serene atmosphere, the cascading fountains, and the unique plant species that create a truly enchanting backdrop.
Game of Thrones fans can explore the locations where the fictional characters strolled, engaged in conversations, and plot their next move. The arboretum’s stunning sea views, rich history, and natural beauty make it a truly enchanting destination for travellers. Take a moment to step into the gardens of the Red Keep, where the show’s most pivotal scenes unfolded, and immerse yourself in the enchanting world of Game of Thrones.
Tips for Visiting the Filming Locations
Visiting the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik can be an unforgettable experience. To make the most of your trip, here are a few tips to keep in mind: Our travel partner Viator has some inclusive Game of Thrones guided tours that we thoroughly recommend!
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik is during the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn. These months offer pleasant weather, allowing visitors to explore the sites comfortably without the peak tourist crowds. Avoiding the summer months ensures a more enjoyable experience, as the locations can get crowded with tourists. Winter visits provide a unique perspective of the filming sites, offering a quieter and more atmospheric ambience, especially during off-peak hours.
Guided Tours Vs Self-Guided Tours
When it comes to exploring the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik, you have the option of joining guided tours or embarking on a self-guided adventure. Our travel partner Viator has some inclusive Game of Thrones guided tours that we thoroughly recommend! Both have their advantages, depending on your preferences and budget. Here are some considerations to help you decide:
- In-depth knowledge: Guided tours provide valuable insider knowledge of the filming locations, as local guides share stories and trivia from the show’s production.
- Convenience: Guided tours take care of the logistics, transportation, and entrance fees, allowing you to sit back, relax, and fully enjoy the experience.
- Hidden details: Engaging in guided tours allows you to uncover hidden details and lesser-known facts about the filming sites, providing a deeper appreciation of the Game of Thrones universe.
- Interactive experience: Local tour guides can answer your questions, provide additional context, and create an interactive experience that enhances your understanding of the show’s locations.
- Group dynamics: Joining a guided tour allows you to connect with fellow Game of Thrones fans and share your enthusiasm for the series.
- Self-Guided Tours:
- Flexibility: Self-guided tours offer the flexibility of exploring the filming sites at your own pace and on your own schedule, giving you the freedom to spend more time in the locations that interest you.
- Customization: Self-guided tours enable you to customize your experience, focusing on the locations that resonate with you the most and allowing for a more personalized journey.
- Exploration: Embarking on a self-guided tour allows you to wander off the beaten path, discover hidden corners, and stumble upon unexpected treasures, creating a sense of adventure and discovery.
- Consider your preferences, budget, and time constraints when deciding which type of tour is best for you. Both guided and self-guided tours offer unique experiences, allowing you to immerse yourself in the world of Westeros while exploring the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik.
Staying in Dubrovnik: A Gateway for Game of Thrones Fans
Dubrovnik is not only a city of stunning Game of Thrones filming locations but also offers a wide range of accommodations for fans looking to stay in the heart of the action. From hotels within the old town walls to establishments with panoramic sea views, there’s something to suit every taste and budget. Let’s explore some recommendations for accommodations in Dubrovnik that will enhance your Game of Thrones experience.
Recommendations for Accommodations
When it comes to accommodations in Dubrovnik, there are several options that offer a unique experience for Game of Thrones fans. Here are some recommendations:
- Hotels within the old town walls: Staying within the old town walls allows guests to step into the world of Game of Thrones right outside their accommodations. Many hotels in this area provide easy access to the main filming locations, such as the Pile Gate and the city walls, allowing you to immerse yourself in the show’s universe from the moment you step outside.
- Hotels in the Ploce area: Hotels in the Ploce area of Dubrovnik provide stunning views of the old city and the Adriatic Sea, enhancing the overall experience. From these accommodations, you can wake up to panoramic vistas of the city, and the show’s filming locations will be just a short walk or drive away, ensuring convenience and beautiful scenery throughout your stay.
- Accommodations near filming locations: For the ultimate Game of Thrones experience, consider booking accommodations near the filming locations, such as the Pile Gate or the old town. Being in close proximity to these sites allows for convenient access, enabling you to explore the locations at different times of the day and fully immerse yourself in the show’s universe.
- When choosing accommodation, consider factors such as comfort, location, and budget. Whether you prefer luxury hotels, boutique guesthouses, or cosy apartments, there’s a wide range of options available in Dubrovnik that will cater to your needs and ensure a truly memorable Game of Thrones experience.
Proximity to Film Locations
Dubrovnik’s proximity to the filming locations of Game of Thrones has had a significant impact on tourism in the region. The city’s close connection to the main filming sites has turned it into a pilgrimage for fans of the show, drawing in visitors from around the world. The direct link between Dubrovnik and the iconic scenes from the show has fuelled an influx of tourists seeking the authentic Game of Thrones experience.
The filming locations in Dubrovnik are easily accessible, allowing fans to explore the real-life settings of the show with ease. The city walls, the Pile Gate, Fort Lovrijenac, and other key locations are all within walking distance of each other, making it convenient for fans to retrace the steps of their favourite characters. Whether you choose to join a guided tour or explore the locations at your own pace, the close proximity of the filming sites in Dubrovnik ensures that you can visit multiple locations in a short amount of time.
The filming locations in Dubrovnik have created a newfound interest in the city, attracting tourists who may not have considered visiting otherwise. This has led to the emergence of guided tours, walking tours, and fan-driven activities focused on the Game of Thrones sites. Visitors now have the opportunity to delve deeper into the show’s universe while exploring the rich history, culture, and natural beauty of Dubrovnik.
Have You Visited these Game of Thrones Locations Yet?
Exploring the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik offers a captivating journey through the iconic scenes of the series. Visiting these renowned spots allows fans to step into the world of Westeros, immersing themselves in the locations that brought the show’s fantasy world to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or simply fascinated by the stunning landscapes and rich history of Dubrovnik, these filming locations are a must-see. Let’s take a moment to reflect on the magic of the Game of Thrones tour in Dubrovnik and the unforgettable experiences it offers.
- Dubrovnik City Walls: Walking along the city walls, you can retrace the steps of your favourite characters, relive the most memorable scenes, and immerse yourself in the show’s universe. From the Battle of Blackwater to Cersei’s walk of shame, the city walls witnessed the show’s most breath taking moments.
- The Rector’s Palace: This historic palace invites visitors to step into the world of King’s Landing, where power struggles and political intrigue define the landscape. Explore the palace, marvel at its architecture, and walk in the footsteps of the show’s characters as you uncover the secrets of the Red Keep.
- Fort Lovrijenac: Prepare to be amazed as you visit the filming location of the legendary Red Keep. From its captivating views to the famous scenes that unfolded within its walls, Fort Lovrijenac offers fans a glimpse into the world of power, treachery, and the iron throne.
- St Dominic Street: Walking down this charming street, you can savour the ambiance of the show, with the hustle and bustle of King’s Landing coming to life. Explore the local shops, admire the folk costumes, and immerse yourself in the vibrant streets that define the city’s character.
- The Jesuit Staircase: Climbing the steps of the iconic Jesuit Staircase, you can feel the weight of the show’s dramatic moments, from Cersei’s walk of shame to the confrontations between powerful characters. Appreciate the staircase’s architectural beauty and the stunning city views it offers, creating a truly immersive experience.
- These are just a few of the many Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik waiting to be explored. As you walk the ancient streets, visit the majestic forts, and soak in the breath taking views, you’ll understand why the show’s creators chose this enchanting city as the main filming location for King’s Landing. Uncover the magic of the game of thrones locations in Dubrovnik, where the fictional world of the series seamlessly merges with the city’s enchanting reality.
Visiting the Game of Thrones filming locations in Dubrovnik can be a dream come true for fans. From the majestic Pile Gate to the scenic beauty of Fort Bokar and the striking city walls, every spot holds a piece of the show’s magic. Don’t miss the iconic Jesuit Staircase and the captivating views from Fort Lovrijenac, also known as the Red Keep.
While exploring these locations, it’s recommended to visit the serene Lokrum Island and the enchanting Trsteno Arboretum. Consider planning your visit according to the best time to avoid crowds and take guided tours for a more immersive experience.
If you’re a die-hard Game of Thrones fan, staying in Dubrovnik is a must. You’ll find accommodations that cater to your fandom and are conveniently located near the film locations.
As Game of Thrones has impacted Dubrovnik tourism significantly, it’s now your turn to experience the magic first-hand. Have you visited these Game of Thrones locations yet? Start planning your trip today and dive into the world of Westeros!
We have compiled a list of other great activities to do while in Dubrovnik. Please find them below, we hope they are helpful: